[CentOS] slammed

Fri Oct 3 22:40:04 UTC 2014
Always Learning <centos at u62.u22.net>

On Fri, 2014-10-03 at 10:03 -0700, Paul Heinlein wrote:

> I've always assumed (without any data whatsoever on which to base that
> assumption) that scanbots won't follow redirects to different
> addresses. Do you have any information to the contrary?

If you mean by 'scanbot' a web crawler, then YES.

I recently moved a sub-domain web site on 1111.2222.com to 1111.3333.com
and redirected traffic, including crawlers, with a simple:-

<VirtualHost 1111.2222.com:80>
<Directory /data/web/do/2222/1111/>
	RedirectMatch permanent ^/(.*)$  http://1111.3333.com/$1
</Directory>
</VirtualHost>

and Google followed. So did other crawlers.

I have previously, and successfully, moved whole web sites to different
domains and got the crawlers to follow by using the same method.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Paul.
England, EU.