[CentOS] Centos 7: Remove Gnome from GDM options

Sun Oct 5 00:01:36 UTC 2014
Frank Cox <theatre at melvilletheatre.com>

On Sat, 04 Oct 2014 18:27:24 -0500
Jay Leafey wrote:

> Well, I haven't tried it, but I believe the available session types are
> stored in desktop files in /usr/share/xsessions.  You could move the
> ones you don't want to a different location and see how the picker in
> GDM behaves... a bit like swatting a fly with a hammer, but as long as
> you can move them back it should be OK.  I found mention of this in an
> Ubuntu-oriented forum somewhere, don't recall where.
>
> Here's what that directory on my C7 box, with MATE installed, looks like:
>
> > [root at megamind gdm]#  ls /usr/share/xsessions
> > gnome-classic.desktop         gnome.desktop
> > gnome-custom-session.desktop  mate.desktop
> > [root at megamind gdm]#
>
> I would try moving all of the .desktop files elsewhere temporarily and
> see if that changes the available desktop list.

That works perfectly.  I moved all of the gnome* files out of that directory and restarted gdm.  The gear icon that appeared beside the sign in button is now gone completely, I guess because there is only one choice available now.  And when I log in it takes me straight to Mate, even when I log in as a brand new user that hasn't ever logged in before.

So, problem solved.  That's the solution.