[CentOS] Problem with WRT54GL router

Wed Oct 8 10:53:29 UTC 2014
Timothy Murphy <gayleard at alice.it>

Eliezer Croitoru wrote:

> Then now I am a bit confused.
> You wrote that the router has a slight problem.
>
> The router can be the CentOS machine or the WRT54GL, choose please

I would not refer to a computer as a router
just because it is running dhcpd.
I was referring to the WRT54GL, as I think was obvious
since I said "my WRT54GL router".

The problem with this device is that it sometimes loses WiFi connection.
Many other people with this router have said the same thing.

> Where do you have the issue??
> - - on machines behind the WRT54GL?
> - - on the CentOS server?

On the laptops and other devices (camera, TV, smart phones)
behind the router.
The CentOS server continues to work.
And I can access the router web-page from the server.
That is why I was asking if there is any way
of getting the server to "wake up" the router.

> What ping has to say about the status of the connection between the
> WIFI clients and the server? and the WRT54GL?

Actually, I can still ping the router (from the server)
even when it has lost WiFi connection.

> Since the three dhcpd\network\shorewall do resolve the issues it can
> be more then one problem.

The problem is in the router.
Everything else works fine.
Also the problem is easily solved by disconnecting and re-connecting
the router.
The difficulty with this is that the machine is in another country.

> I would also look at the basic system logs to see if there are any
> hints about the issue.

There is nothing relevant in /var/log/messages on the server.
On laptops and phones there are the messages one would expect -
eg NetworkManager says at great length that it has lost connection.

> I had a similar issue with a CentOS 6 not long ago and the NIC was
> going up and down.
> When I replaced to newer kernel it got fixed.
> (tested couple times over a very long period)
>
> What nic are you using there? Is there any switch over there between
> the WRT54GL and the Server?

The server is an HP MicroServer,
The ethernet card on the router link is Broadcom NetXtreme BCM5723
(according to lspci).

--
Timothy Murphy
e-mail: gayleard /at/ eircom.net