[CentOS] Systemd Adding Its Own Console To Linux Systems

Wed Oct 8 18:54:19 UTC 2014
Marcelo Ricardo Leitner <marcelo.leitner at gmail.com>

On 08-10-2014 15:18, m.roth at 5-cent.us wrote:
> Marcelo Ricardo Leitner wrote:
>> On 08-10-2014 14:36, Les Mikesell wrote:

>>> But oddly, he didn't even mention that there would be a real simple
>>> solution - just add backwards-compatible improvements instead of
>>> actively wrecking the interfaces everyone else had depended on for
>>> decades.
>>
>> "decades". That, by itself, already calls for an update, no?
>
> Why? Do you ride a bicycle differently, or drive differently, than you did
> say, 20 years ago? You went out and bought a recumbent, or an electric
> car?

Well, yes. Bit off topic now, but yes. The core way of doing it, is the
same, but nowadays if I don't wear proper clothing and pay extra
attention, I'll probably be overrun in the next corner. It changed.. I
can't ride it just like before.

> While we're at it, can you tell me how much better a brand new microwave,
> with 20 touch-buttons for misguessing how long to cook something, is
> better than the old microwave I used to have that had a "cook/defrost"
> dial, and a timer dial?
> <snip>

Heh.. so let's all use mud jars instead of plastic ones, or ceramic pans
instead of the nonadherent ones we have nowadays. ;)

Ok, that aside, sorry, I'm not saying that having 20 touch-buttons is
right/better, though. If you don't like it, don't buy it.. But the old
dial is gone because (some) people needed something else, just that...
My dial used to break now and then, btw, and touch buttons are easier to
clean up, IMO. Mine has a grill feature that I never used for ~7 years.
When I tried to use, it burnt and left the food smelling melted plastic.
;D IOW, no good for me, at least for now. But if I find a recipe that
needs it, perhaps I'll fix my microwave just to try it.

>> Like for firewalld and systemd, as they were already mentioned in here.
>> It's hard _just because_ it's different. But wait, wasn't iptables
>> different from ipchains? And is nftables going to be as the same as
>> iptables? No, of course not. There are features in nftables that you
>> can't put into iptables cleanly, so you need a new workflow on it.
>
> Actually, I struggled with ipchains, and found iptables much simpler. I've
> yet to see anyone suggest that systemd is "simpler".

Heh, me too, but well, 20 buttons is more complex than 1 dial, yet more
practical if you know how to use them.

Marcelo