[CentOS] vmstat and loadavg disagree about system load

Thu Oct 9 05:42:11 UTC 2014
John R Pierce <pierce at hogranch.com>

On 10/8/2014 10:29 PM, Mingfei Hua wrote:
> Hi John,
>
> Followed line is quoted from “man vmstat”, it means r+b=running process + uninterruptible sleep process.  So, what’s the definition of system load, doesn’t it include running process and process in uninterruptible sleep. Which part is wrong? Please explicitly denote.

I could care less what man pages say, I'm saying THATS NOT HOW IT WORKS.
Linux has *ALWAYS* worked this way. Load Average is measuring something
completely different than your 'r' and 'b' in vmstat. Presumably, there
are far more processes in 'interruptable sleep' than 'uninterruptable
sleep', and vmstat doesn't seem to count these.