[CentOS] Systemd Adding Its Own Console To Linux Systems

Thu Oct 9 14:05:48 UTC 2014
Leon Fauster <leonfauster at googlemail.com>

Am 09.10.2014 um 15:07 schrieb Les Mikesell <lesmikesell at gmail.com>:
> On Thu, Oct 9, 2014 at 8:02 AM, Valeri Galtsev
> <galtsev at kicp.uchicago.edu> wrote:
>>

>>> Really?  What application could you not start with sysv init syntax?
>>> What CPU has become too slow to start things serially?  What feature
>>> do you need that could not have been added without breaking other
>>> existing work?
>>>

>> <irony>
>> The feature of advantage is fast boot. As Linux like Windows needs reboot
>> often, it is awfully important. And all of you, dinosaurs (who saw years
>> long uptime of Linux machines) who don't care that boot takes 60 seconds
>> now instead of 4 minutes should just shut up.
>> </irony>
>>
>> Let me second what you said. I also would add: In my opinion it is not
>> clever to keep settings that are expressed by plain ASCII text being
>> marked up, "dressed into junk", XML. For human to read them you need
>> "undress" them (you GUI guys may forget that your GUI does that - not
>> literally of course), and to pass them to systemd itself one has strip the
>> junk (XML markup). The same goes about firewalld.
>>
>> But what am I doing. The World passed that point...
>>

> I guess debugging the GUIs that make the config files accessible will
> be job security for the young guys that replace us...

Are you serious? Do you provide manually the links for the sysV fs?
Or do you use an "wrapper/helper" (e.g. ntsysv, chkconfig)? So why
not using the same work-abstraction for a different boot process?

And about readability - do you read all configuration files on every
system boot? No - but the system does and therefore xml is more suitable.

Please don't misunderstand me. As I tried and mentioned before - the
whole disarmony here is more based on human and not on technical factors.
I am on your side but for sure for different reasons. EL7 has changed
to much not only the boot process. The cluster stack, IPsec implementation
and httpd config syntax is different, NM for network, gnome-shell, missing
TB and so on. Further investigation and adaptation of our deployment processes
are in progress. So, EL6 will stay here as a primary plattform.

Peace.

--
LF