[CentOS] Wrong file permissions in CentOS 7

Fri Oct 10 19:28:30 UTC 2014
Alan Stern <stern at rowland.harvard.edu>

On Fri, 10 Oct 2014, Mike wrote:

> On Fri, 10 Oct 2014, Alan Stern wrote:
>
> > Sorry if this question has been asked many times before.
> >
> > On a new CentOS 7 system, when I create files they end up with strange
> > permissions.  For example, as root:
> >
> > [root at server ~]# umask
> > 0000
> > [root at server ~]# touch a
> > [root at server ~]# ls -l a
> > -r--r----- 1 root root 0 Oct 10 11:45 a
> >
> > As a regular user:
> >
> > [stern at server ~]$ umask
> > 0000
> > [stern at server ~]$ touch b
> > [stern at server ~]$ ls -l b
> > -rw------- 1 stern stern 0 Oct 10 11:47 b
> >
> > In both cases the permsissions should have been -rw-rw-rw-.  What on
> > earth is going on, and how can I fix it?
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Alan Stern

> I'm sure I don't have an answer, but the last time I saw something like
> that the problem was related to a fat or vfat file system (I believe).
> What type of filesystem is "/"?  What is the output from 'df -Th' ?

I appreciate any suggestions for places to look, since I am baffled.

The filesystem is ext4.  "df -Th /" says as much, and also says that
teh filesystem is 18% full.

But you're right that the filesystem is somehow involved.  When I do
exactly the same thing in the /run directory, which is tmpfs, it works
as expected.

The output from "mount" doesn't help much:

/dev/md5 on / type ext4 (rw,relatime,seclabel,data=ordered)

Trying this on /boot (a separate ext4 filesystem in a different disk
partition) gives yet a different result; the file ends up with
-r--r--r-- permission.

I know that this isn't caused by selinux, because I get the same
results after booting with selinux turned off.

Alan Stern