[CentOS] Systemd Adding Its Own Console To Linux Systems

Fri Oct 10 22:33:22 UTC 2014
Les Mikesell <lesmikesell at gmail.com>

On Fri, Oct 10, 2014 at 3:56 PM, Reindl Harald <h.reindl at thelounge.net> wrote:

> Am 10.10.2014 um 22:38 schrieb Les Mikesell:

>>> systemd (as PID 1) is not necessarily the problem.  The problem IMHO is
>>> the systemd _project_ that appears to have a severe case of scope creep.
>>> They have swallowed up other projects (udev, dbus), reinvented wheels
>>> (logging, ntp, network configuration), and appear to still be growing
>>> without bounds.  When people don't like some of the decisions of systemd
>>> developers, and the systemd project keeps taking over more of the core
>>> OS functionality, it is frustrating to watch.
>>

>> There's probably nothing wrong with these things in the context of a
>> new/different OS oriented to servicing a single user who is assumed to
>> own the world as a side effect of logging into a magical console
>> device and starting a GUI where things can pop into existence and chat
>> with other things easily.   But it doesn't have much to do with
>> unix-like concepts
>

> bullshit proven by running servers with systemd over 3 years *headless* with
> multiple users for
>
> * vpn
> * sftp with mysqld based users and groups
> * rdp
> * http
> * smtp
> * pop3
> * imap
> * smb
> * afp
> * dns
> * epp
> * dhcp
> * ftp
> * ntp
> * mysqld
> * firewalls / gateways
> * routers
>
> and well, worksations too
>
> so *just shut up* thelling abody shit about "a single user"

What happens to ownership of a DVD or audio device when a different
user logs in at the console - even if some other remote user wants to
access them?   The magic is more about ConsoleKit and PolicyKit than
specifically systemd but the underlying dbus gunk seems to be merging
together.

--
   Les Mikesell
      lesmikesell at gmail.com