[CentOS] CentOS 7 docs, tutorials, etc...

Fri Oct 10 22:35:49 UTC 2014
Always Learning <centos at u62.u22.net>

On Fri, 2014-10-10 at 16:31 -0500, Chris Pemberton wrote:

> Did either of you think to crack open your laptop cases and check for
> embedded key logging hardware on the MB.. it could be in there... that
> tiny mislabeled capacitor near the USB bus would be a good hiding
> place... or have you been blindly typing away on those keyboards for
> several years...?  Does the firmware for your wireless card ever
> overstep its bounds and poke around a bit... perhaps to collect info
> from the key logger?  That same wireless firmware could probably have
> access to your network without your knowledge... Isn't it the government
> that stipulates that the firmware be distributed in binary form
> only...?  And be sure to "mute" the mic on your machine... they'd never
> be smart enough to use the speakers in reverse to accomplish the same
> thing :)

I avoid using Wifi. My keyboards are changed frequently (one of the
reasons is some are allergic to tea). My home router is an inquisitive
Asus AC68U but Wifi is disabled. My trusted firewall is iptables. My
multiple backups are significant distances away. My HDDs are on pull-out
caddies. I read all the generated daily reports.

When relatives come, a new name and password are created for Wifi access
which does not broadcast its presence. There is no access to the LAN.

If anyone is serious about security, it is not the keyboards one should
worry about but another item that is so common it is always
'overlooked'. No further comment :-)

--
Regards,

Paul.