[CentOS] Systemd Adding Its Own Console To Linux Systems

Sat Oct 11 12:07:00 UTC 2014
Marcelo Ricardo Leitner <marcelo.leitner at gmail.com>

On 09-10-2014 14:13, Les Mikesell wrote:

>>> http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/systemd/multiseat/
>>>
>> Ok I read the information. So as I understand it you are going have a
>> computer that
>> has multiple graphics cards with multiple keyboards and multiple mice
>> divided into
>> seats. Really?
>>
>> Where do I buy this computer?
>
> It is much simpler to run remote X sessions over a network for
> multiuser access  and probably not much more expensive if you use
> older PCs as terminals.  You do have to boot something, but x2go or

You think that nobody on that project thought about this before?

> freenx/NX are cross platform and have great remote performance.  I'm
> surprised no one has made a mini-linux distro that boots straight to
> x2go for this purpose, but if they have, I haven't found it.

It's not just remote X sessions. You want at least USB and audio
redirection and also a decent 3D performance.

We currently do that using spice for VMs, I don't know how feasible it
is to run it on a real hardware.

There are some good pro's on this setup:
- this installation is physically simpler than having 4 full computers
as it requires 1/4 of the wall plugs and network points
- no single point of failure (as in: 4 seats down is okay), if you
compare with ones using x2go and similar (application server)
- easily scalable: need more seats? buy 1 computer more, you have +4
seats, and you're good. No server needs to be re-evaluated.
- easier to maintain, as you maintain 1/4 of the systems you would
otherwise.
- very cost effective with commodity hardware, that everyone knows how
to deal with.
- vendor independent

And probably many others that I forgot :)

Not saying it's the best, though. Just saying that yes this is a good
project that is well plotted and has its audience.

Marcelo