[CentOS] CentOS 6.4 kernel panic on boot after upgrading kernel to 2.6.32-431.29.2

Tue Oct 14 11:56:23 UTC 2014
Johnny Hughes <johnny at centos.org>

On 10/14/2014 03:38 AM, Joakim Ziegler wrote:
> On 14/10/14, 3:32, Laurent Wandrebeck wrote:
>>
>> Joakim Ziegler <joakim at terminalmx.com> a écrit :
>
>>> Ok, so is that a confirmation that installing this kernel, even
>>> though it
>>> might be "for 6.5" should not in itself break anything, and that it
>>> should boot?
>
>> Every RH errata contains the following text:
>> « Before applying this update, make sure all previously released errata
>> relevant to your system have been applied. »
>
>> And that’s the case for that kernel:
>> https://rhn.redhat.com/errata/RHSA-2014-1167.html
>
>> So, imho, just yum update and reboot. You’ll be at 6.5 and far more
>> safer.
>
> Yeah, I might end up doing that. However, this is a system that runs
> proprietary software that explicitly runs on 6.4, so I was trying to
> avoid upgrading everything.
>
> Oh well. It won't be the first time I make this particular propritary
> system run on a distro it doesn't officially support, they were stuck on
> CentOS 5 for the longest time, and I made it work on 6.3 before they got
> with the times.

The advise to do a full upgrade is the best (most secure) option ..
however, theoretically, the new kernel should boot and not cause issues
based on the other packages.

I would search for kernel issues for your model server and the 6.5
kernels, as I think the issue is with some hardware drivers and not
related to the other userland packages (unless you happen to be using a
kmod somewhere).

That being said, you should always try to stay current with all updates
to maximize the chances that everything works together .. and Laurent is
absolutely correct, the only tested 'upstream' solution (other than
their EUS?AUS solutions) is what he said, which is:

"Before applying this update, make sure all previously released errata
relevant to your system have been applied."

As far as what kernel is designed for which release ... every point
release (minor version) will have its own kernel branch associated with
it, you can see this at http://vault.centos.org/

For example, 6.0 has:

kernel-2.6.32-71.el6

All the other 6.0 kernels are kernel-2.6.32-71.x.y.el6 .. ie,
kernel-2.6.32-71.7.1.el6, kernel-2.6.32-71.14.1,
kernel-2.6.32-71.18.1.el6, kernel-2.6.32-71.18.2, etc.

The following is a breakdown of what each starts with:

6.0: kernel-2.6.32-71
6.1: kernel-2.6.32-131
6.2: kernel-2.6.32-220
6.3: kernel-2.6.32-279