[CentOS] Systemd Adding Its Own Console To Linux Systems

Tue Oct 14 20:40:46 UTC 2014
Warren Young <warren at etr-usa.com>

On Oct 14, 2014, at 1:34 PM, Les Mikesell <lesmikesell at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Oct 14, 2014 at 2:10 PM, Warren Young <warren at etr-usa.com> wrote:
>>
>> It should be trivial to set up an actual RPi to do that.
>
> The beauty of the original K12LTSP respin was that just
> you did a normal fill-in-the-form install pretty much like any
> fedora/centos

If you insist on having a whole OS dedicated to this, I guess you could go fork Raspbian (http://www.raspbian.org/) and add this stuff to the installer.

Compare that amount of work to:

1. Install Raspbian from NOOBS

2. Change boot option so it doesn’t boot into its own GUI

3. sudo apt-get install x2go and-whatever-else

4. scp over a new rc.local

5. Change an IP in that file

You could automate most of this in the normal sort of way.  (Puppet, or another CM system that makes you happy.)

Even over the scale of a whole school district, I’d think maintaining a Raspbian fork just to get the x2go config into the installation process would be more difficult.

If you’re waiting for someone else to do the work, you may be sitting there waiting for a long time.  One of the rules of the game that the Pi changes is the value of centralized computing.  30 seats times $40 (including PSU) pretty much balances out the cost of the central server.