[CentOS] What happens to in-use files when I restart samba?

Fri Oct 17 17:21:47 UTC 2014
James Hogarth <james.hogarth at gmail.com>

On 17 Oct 2014 16:24, "Patrick Bervoets" <patrick.bervoets at psc-elsene.be>
wrote:

> One of the services that has to be restarted after the openssl update is
samba.

> And now I wonder if I can safely restart samba when there are possible
files in-use (ie writes could be happening).

> I can't find an answer on Google (could be me asking the wrong questions)

If you check the process tree you'll see that there is an smb process
forked per connection.

This is similar to sshd behaviour.

The existing connections are not killed only the listening process itself.

New connections will use the new libraries/config

Incidentally this is why it can be important when changing share paths or
certain other config (allow lists for instance) to use smbstatus and check
for any existing connections to that share to kill to make sure that no one
is picking up old config.