[CentOS] rsync question: building list taking forever

Sun Oct 19 18:01:44 UTC 2014
Keith Keller <kkeller at wombat.san-francisco.ca.us>

On 2014-10-19, Tim Dunphy <bluethundr at gmail.com> wrote:
>> ... and remember to use tcp for nfs transfer ;)
>
> Hmm you mean specify tcp for rsync? I thought that's default.

No, he means use TCP for NFS (which is also the default).

I suspect that sshfs's relatively poor performance is having an impact
on your transfer.  I have a 30TB filesystem which I rsync over an
OpenVPN link, and building the file list doesn't take that long (maybe
an hour?).  (The links themselves are reasonably fast; if yours are not
that would have a negative impact too.)

If you have the space on the jump host, it may end up being faster to
rsync over ssh (not using NFS or sshfs) from node 1 to the jump host,
then from the jump host to node 2.

--keith

kkeller at wombat.san-francisco.ca.us