[CentOS] djbdns under CentOS7: startup and socket issues

Mon Oct 20 12:27:43 UTC 2014
James Hogarth <james.hogarth at gmail.com>

On 20 Oct 2014 12:41, "Boris Epstein" <borepstein at gmail.com> wrote:

> sshd is not a telnetd-type servide yet it uses a .socket file. So I
thought
> djbdns should as well.

It can be run that way as an option:

http://0pointer.de/blog/projects/inetd.html

> As for why DJBDNS - we have used it for a long time due to the security
> advantages. And yes, BIND is now much better than it used to be and we may
> switch to it at some point but for now we are still trying to get DJBDNS
> work.

If you are using the 1.05 tar from the djb site this is a very bad idea -
see previous links for reasons.

> I am close - when I start it manually and when I use it locally. So all I
> need to do is figure out how to start it automatically as well as how to
> open the necessary ports in the firewall.

The correct answer here to ease your maintenance burden if you insist in
djbdns is to use the ndjbdns package in epel that has already been
mentioned.