[CentOS] C7 : Firewalld

Sat Oct 25 23:14:42 UTC 2014
Marcelo Ricardo Leitner <marcelo.leitner at gmail.com>

On 25-10-2014 09:40, Timothy Murphy wrote:
> Vijay Rajah wrote:
>
>> You can still use iptables with Centos7, if you want... (AFAIK both
>> firewalld & iptables use the same kernel functions)

Yes.. both are just frontends for iptables with profile presets, no more
than that.

> As a matter of interest, how does firewalld compare with shorewall?
> They look rather similar.

Pretty much same idea, but firewalld should be more evolved in terms of
user friendly. It even has a GUI if you want.

firewalld also has other abilities, like allowing changing just the
runtime configuration, or just the persistent one..

Yet, if you are an advanced shorewall/iptables user, you may struggle to
do the same on firewalld without resorting to its --direct commands.

> I am running CentOS-7 on a home server, with shorewall.
> I was not aware until I read this thread that firewalld was installed,
> but I find now that it is running.
> I'm rather surprised there have been no conflicts with shorewall.
> Maybe one over-rules the other?
>
> (I notice it is installed but not running on my Fedora-20 laptop.)

Probably your shorewall is just starting later than firewalld and is
overwritting firewalld rules

Marcelo