[CentOS] "No free sectors available" while try to extend logical volumen in a virtual machine running CentOS 6.5

Tue Oct 28 01:50:21 UTC 2014
Ted Miller <tedlists at sbcglobal.net>

On 10/27/2014 07:42 PM, reynierpm at gmail.com wrote:
> Hi SilverTip nice answer and very helpful, I'll try to get some more help
> here since as I said in the main post I'm not an expert on Linux or a
> Administrator I'm just a developer trying to setup a development enviroment
> so ...
>
> It's telling you the truth.
>> Sounds like you want another Logical Volume (LV) not partition.
>>

> You're right, what I need is a new LV but how I do that?
>

>> Sounds like you destroyed one or more of your LVs through all this.
>>

> Probable and I'm pretty sure I do it :-(
>

>> Please read the following documentation before forging further ahead.
>> And you might spin up a VM or live CD to experiment with LVM operations
>> before going any further as well.
>> - speaks about extents [0]
>> - read the entire Chapter 2 on LVM [1] as it applies to your scenario (ex:
>> snapshots probably don't)
>>   - dated/older, but it may prove helpful [2]
>>
>> [0]
>>
>> https://access.redhat.com/documentation/en-US/Red_Hat_Enterprise_Linux/6/html/Logical_Volume_Manager_Administration/lv_overview.html
>> [1]
>>
>> https://access.redhat.com/documentation/en-US/Red_Hat_Enterprise_Linux/6/html/Logical_Volume_Manager_Administration/LVM_components.html
>> [2] http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/html_single/LVM-HOWTO/
>>

> Fine, I read it but know doubts persist on my mind. First, I'm running OS
> in a Vmware Workstation VM and I'll not like to loose every I have there
> since then I'll need to reconfigure all from scratch but if there is not
> another option to save my mess the we should go through it.

If I were in your position, I think I would:
* Create a new, 80GB disk using VMWare
* Partition that disk into your /boot and LVM partitions
* pvcreate
* vgcreate
* lvcreate the disk structure you want in your new disk, making sure all
LVs are at least a little bigger than the old ones.
* use dd to copy disks from old drives to corresponding old drives
* use resize2fs to expand your file system to the full size of each of the
LVs you created.
* detach old virtual disk from your VM
* reboot, and see if you succeeded

If I forgot something here, hopefully someone else will chime in.  The idea
is to dump your corrupted LVM structure without loosing its content.

Ted Miller
Elkhart, IN, USA