[CentOS] No X with new 6.6 kernel

Wed Oct 29 02:06:12 UTC 2014
Mark LaPierre <marklapier at gmail.com>

On 10/28/14 21:13, Mark LaPierre wrote:
> Hey Y'all,
>
> After upgrade to 6.6 my gui will not start.  The problem is probably
> related to the dusty old video card I've got in this crusty old machine.
>
> 01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: NVIDIA Corporation G73 [GeForce 7600
> GS] (rev a2)
>
> I've got the proprietary drivers installed.  Normally when I update my
> kernel the video module is rebuilt automagically.  That probably doesn't
> work with the new kernel.
>
> I can get the GUI running by booting into the previous kernel version.
>
> Does anyone know what repository and package name I need to update the
> driver for 6.6?

Okay, I erased kmod-nvidia-304xx and nvidia-x11-drv-304xx

I booted into the new kernel and reinstalled kmod-nvidia-304xx and
nvidia-x11-drv-304xx.

After a reboot still no joy.

The Xorg.0.log says:

[    57.575] (EE) NVIDIA: Failed to load the NVIDIA kernel module.
Please check your
[    57.575] (EE) NVIDIA:     system's kernel log for additional error
messages.

Where do I find said kernel log?

--
    _