[CentOS] Wow! Double wow!

Wed Oct 29 15:43:54 UTC 2014
Beartooth <beartooth at comcast.net>

On Wed, 29 Oct 2014 09:22:35 -0500, Valeri Galtsev wrote:

> On Wed, October 29, 2014 9:06 am, Steve Clark wrote:

>> +100
>>
> Me too. I was [mistakenly, apparently] always considering 5.[n+1],
> 6.[m+1] just re-spins, thus providing latest packages with _backported_
security
> patches/bugfixes, aimed at providing installation media that is not
> entail millions of updates. "Releases" with newer versions, drivers
> included in kernel shuffled, the new kernel (without any necessity in
> it) which causes hassle to reboot the box... This all effectively
> defeats the "Enterprise" portion of the name of the system, doesn't it?
>
> Do not take it as me not being appreciative of the great job the
> distribution maintainers do. I'm just trying to give a view of us,
> "users" who have to deal with the consequences...

	Looking back over the list of packages installed, I notice that
most end in "el6," but there are some with "el6_6." Does that mean she's
now actually running 6.6 rather than 6.5?

	I've been wondering when it would be best to switch to CentOS 7.
Is there something like fedup in Fedora to do it, or is a fresh install
the only way?
--
Beartooth Staffwright, Not Quite Clueless Power User
Remember I know little (precious little!) of where up is.