[CentOS] Wow! Double wow!

Wed Oct 29 21:39:58 UTC 2014
Les Mikesell <lesmikesell at gmail.com>

On Wed, Oct 29, 2014 at 4:12 PM, Valeri Galtsev
<galtsev at kicp.uchicago.edu> wrote:

>>> ... Basically, if one thinks he knows
>>> more than system vendor, he is just schizophrenic. And we, normal
>>> people, do give schizophrenics a privilege to be on their own. As we,
>>> normal people know that if the distro maintainers had to update kernel,
>>> they had a reason (otherwise, something else breaks). So, we are left
>>> running _this_ system, even though it's stressful, still not as
>>> stressful as running "bleeding edge" fedora, right? ;-)
>>
>>       What? Stressful?? Fedora??? Naaahhh ...
>
> I'm sorry, apart from my laptop, I also run servers. And services are
> supposed to be up 24/7. And a bunch of people are always logged in... You
> do the math.

Things break and need maintenance.  If your services can't tolerate
that, you need more redundancy.   As for the OS updates (which are
only one of the many things that can break...), they are 'pretty well'
vetted by upstream so breakage is rare and your odds are better
installing them than not.   But you don't have to reboot right now -
schedule it for a convenient time.

--
   Les Mikesell
     lesmikesell at gmail.com