[CentOS] Wow! Double wow!

Wed Oct 29 23:57:04 UTC 2014
John R Pierce <pierce at hogranch.com>

On 10/29/2014 4:40 PM, Valeri Galtsev wrote:
> Yes, indeed. Those are blasted Unix sysadmins (Hm, I flatter myself by
> thinking of being one too) that push themselves into being too responsible
> to their users... No, I don't think Unix admins will start into the
> direction of Windows world, sorry. I don't even like Windows world
> mentioned as an example for Unix world! (Don't take me too literally,
> everybody welcomes good things "other worlds" have...)

in my enterprise world, production systems are fully redundant, and have
staging servers running identical software configurations.  all upgrades
and upgrade procedures are tested on staging before being deployed in
production.    quite often, the staging systems double as the Disaster
Recovery systems, but thats another story. virtually all production
systems either have a schedulable downtime (2am sunday morning?), or
support rolling upgrades with no downtime (such as our 24/7 factory
operations where downtime == no product).

personally, I'm very glad I work in development, where our informal SLA
is more like 9-9 5 days/week (developers like to work late).