[CentOS] Centos7 Annoyances

Fri Oct 31 01:27:40 UTC 2014
Peter <peter at pajamian.dhs.org>

On 10/31/2014 01:45 PM, david wrote:
> 1:  Firewall changes
>  The change in firewall technology forced a complete re-do of my scripts
> which maintain firewalls, respond to attacks, etc.  I think I've
> programmed my way around the issues, but it wasn't easy.

It's trivial to disable firewalld then all your old scripts will work
just fine with iptables, just like they always have.

> 2:  Apache changes
>  These were subtle, but again were solved.

New version of apache, there have always been config changes between
versions.

> 3:  Service -> systemd
>  The change from object-oriented view of service:  (service httpd
> restart) to function-oriented (systemctl restart firewall) seems to be
> unnecessary, and counter to the way stuff is generally done in the
> modern world.  Nonetheless, it was possible to solve that with some
> adaptive script programming.

The service command still works as a wrapper around systemctl.
chkconfig won't work, but you probably won't be scripting that anyways.
 Other than that, I don't like systemd much either, but that topic has
been talked to death.

> 4) Something with Unknown lvalue 'ControlGroup' in section 'Service'
>  I don't know what to do with this.  I constantly get the diagnostic:
>    [/usr/lib/systemd/system/rtkit-daemon.service:32] Unknown lvalue
> 'ControlGroup' in section 'Service'
>  and attempts to browse the internet for solutions come across barriers
> that require some paid subscription to view.  This is currently a
> progress-stopper.  The messages I see deal with boinc, which does not
> show up on my system using "rpm -qa | grep -i boinc".

I have no idea bout this.  Feel free to check bugzilla, and/or file a
bug report.

> 5) Sendmail is out, postfix is in.
>  This is a huge change, since I had lots of scripts that tailored the
> Sendmail system for spam protection, dealing with SmartHosts that
> required SMTP-AUTH and others required weird configurations, etc.
> Whether this is working yet I don't quite know, but it seems the scripts
> can accommodate the change.

yum remove postfix && yum install sendmail

Sendmail is still there, it's just not the default.  If you prefer
sendmail then by all means use it.

> 7) Lack of 32-bit support
>  I think I understand this.  After all, 32-bit machines may become
> "unusable" when the clock overflows, but isn't that a few years away,
> and couldn't some solution be found, even if kludgy?  Some of the 32-bit
> hardware was of very high quality, and still runs perfectly.  I'd hate
> to spend a few hundred dollars each to replace all those systems.

I can understand this from RedHat's perspective, CentOS is workign on a
32 bit build, but it takes time.

Peter