[CentOS] brother printers VS systemd

Tom Bishop bishoptf at gmail.com
Wed Sep 3 23:17:47 UTC 2014

On Wed, Sep 3, 2014 at 5:39 PM, Frank Cox <theatre at melvilletheatre.com> wrote:
> On Wed, 3 Sep 2014 18:19:30 -0400
> Fred Smith wrote:
>
>> I've used Brothers printer driver installer tool to install drivers
>> on C7 for a DCP7650DN. Cups thinks printing is working fine, but
>> nothing ever arrives at the printer: the printer remains asleep.
>>
>> Looking at some of the setup instructions for the brother driver, it
>> looks as if it wants a symbolic link of /etc/init.d/cups to /etc/init.d/lpd.
>> neither of those exists in a systemd system, so I'm at somewhat of a loss
>> regarding what to do.
>
> I've had nothing but problems with printing from Centos 7 (see my previous thread about this matter) and eventually gave up and use one of my Centos 6 computers as a print server instead of this one.
>
> Having said that, can you dig a ppd file out of that Linux installer you downloaded from the brother website?  Perhaps that's all you need to install.
>
> --
> MELVILLE THEATRE ~ Real D 3D Digital Cinema ~ www.melvilletheatre.com

I'm a big fan of brother printers since they support linux, so I have
a centos 7 install but had not done anything with printing, here is
what I did.

yum install cups system-config-printer
go to the brother support page and download both the lpr rpm and the
cupswrapper rpm
install both rpm packages

Then drop to a command line a do a system-config-printer, depending on
how new or old the model is it may auto discover, mine did.  If not
hit the + sign and add a printer, click on network and then enter the
ip address of the printer and it should discover it, compete the
information by selecting the correct brother drive etc and then hit
print test page.

Hopefully I didn;t leave anything out but that is what I did and I am
up and printing, hope it helps :)