[CentOS] Bare drive RAID question, was RE: *very* ugly mdadm issue [Solved, badly]

Scott Robbins scottro at nyc.rr.com
Fri Sep 5 14:18:13 UTC 2014

On Fri, Sep 05, 2014 at 08:01:05AM -0600, Warren Young wrote:
> On 9/5/2014 07:18, Richard Zimmerman wrote:
> >
> >Until I read this thread, I've never heard of building RAIDs on bare
> >metal drives. I'm assuming no partition table, just a disk label?
>
> I don't know what you mean by a disk label.  BSD uses that term for
> their alternative to MBR and GPT partition tables, but I think you
> must mean something else.

There is another method of disk naming, I think it gained popularity
between /dev/sda and UUID, that was something like LABEL=swap or
LABEL=root.  I haven't used it in years so don't remember the details.

As for building on bare metal, as it stands, during installation, the
RedHat way is you make, for example, a /boot, / and swap, then make the
same partitions on drive 2 (for a RAID-1).  You then create 3 RAID devices,
one for each partition.  Then, when a drive fails, you have three devices
to worry about.  In contrast, as mentioned on the CentOS wiki, one can just
do a normal install, then mirror the drive with just one RAID device. I'm
guessing that is what was meant.

--
Scott Robbins
PGP keyID EB3467D6