[CentOS] Bare drive RAID question, was RE: *very* ugly mdadm issue [Solved, badly]

Warren Young warren at etr-usa.com
Fri Sep 5 14:43:14 UTC 2014

On 9/5/2014 08:18, Scott Robbins wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 05, 2014 at 08:01:05AM -0600, Warren Young wrote:
>> I don't know what you mean by a disk label.
>
> There is another method of disk naming, I think it gained popularity
> between /dev/sda and UUID, that was something like LABEL=swap or
> LABEL=root.

That's a property of the filesystem, not the disk or partition.  See
tune2fs/mke2fs -L.

> As for building on bare metal, as it stands, during installation, the
> RedHat way is you make, for example, a /boot, / and swap, then make the
> same partitions on drive 2 (for a RAID-1).

The system disk must be partitioned because you need a boot loader,
which means you're already going to be taking over some space on
cylinder 0, so the arguments in favor of raw disks have already gone out
the window.

I'm only talking about data volumes here.