[CentOS] Install Centos 6 x86_64 on Dell PowerEdge 2970 and aSSD (hardware probing issues)

m.roth at 5-cent.us m.roth at 5-cent.us
Fri Sep 5 19:18:35 UTC 2014

Jason Pyeron wrote:
>> From: m.roth at 5-cent.us

Dumb question: these machines are getting very long in the tooth, but
you're putting SSD's in them? New, or newer machines, would solve a lot of
problems....

>> > So the dell tech says it only supports ATA (IDE) mode.
>> [Sorry for the
>> > accidental forward]
>> >
>> > Now I have to find an alternative to supporting a SSD boot
>> > device on a SATA port in IDE (ATA) mode.
>> >
>> Ok, I see - it's an old 2970 - I see the manuals on Dell's
>> site were last revised in 2011. We got rid of all our 2950's (except for
>> one, I think, or two, and they're another team's). IIRC, they did have a
>> choice of AHCI or RAID, and I think there may have been one other option.
>> Unless this is
>
> I think that is on the PERC contoller. The Onboard SATA A/B ports are the
> issue.

Nope. That's the kind of stuff that's only in the BIOS - it's certainly
not on a PERC.
<snip>
> We have some with 40 pin IDE, but I am ignoring them.

And to that I have one response: MTBF. You need to talk to management
about spending some money....

> Both IDE and SATA mother boards have the same BIOS version!?!?!

Presumably from when the switchover was happening.

Hmmmm... have you spoken to Dell, or looked on their website, for a
firmware update for the BIOS?

        mark