[CentOS] Install Centos 6 x86_64 on Dell PowerEdge 2970 and aSSD (hardware probing issues)

Valeri Galtsev galtsev at kicp.uchicago.edu
Sat Sep 6 15:21:35 UTC 2014

On Sat, September 6, 2014 10:07 am, John R Pierce wrote:
> On 9/6/2014 7:46 AM, Valeri Galtsev wrote:
>> But that is exactly what I said: if the hardware was released and sold
>> with this piece of crap BIOS, then you shouldn't be buying that junk in
>> the first place. Or at least stop buying the crap made by_this_
>> manufacturer in a future. I'm still not convinced. Any better reasons?
>
> with that approach, you'd quickly find yourself with zero vendors left.

No, I'm still buying Dell desktops. I gave up on their rackmount boxes
(with Dell you don't have flexibility of choice of your preferred, say,
RAID cards: step left, step right and you are shot ;-). I get rackmount
ones assembled by small company (companies) and about 1/2 of cost of
similar hardware from Dell. Those are for the most part based on Tyan
barebones. And during last at least decade I never had a "must to" flash
newer BIOS situation with any of those boxes. If I ever flashed new BIOS,
it was only once before I put the box in production.

Of course, I flashed BIOS of my laptop (after unsoldering EPROM, dumping
original BIOS content, editing the darn thing with hex editor, flashing it
on new EPROM chip, and then sticking it into socket I soldered to laptop
system board in place of EPROM chip), but that is different. The World
will not stop spinning if my laptop stays dead for a couple of days, or
weeks or forever. Any of the servers. - its way different.

Valeri

> --
> john r pierce                                      37N 122W
> somewhere on the middle of the left coast

Valeri Galtsev
Sr System Administrator
University of Chicago
Phone: 773-702-4247