[CentOS] Install Centos 6 x86_64 on Dell PowerEdge 2970 and aSSD (hardware probing issues)

Valeri Galtsev galtsev at kicp.uchicago.edu
Mon Sep 8 02:27:35 UTC 2014

On Sun, September 7, 2014 8:55 pm, Keith Keller wrote:
> On 2014-09-07, Valeri Galtsev <galtsev at kicp.uchicago.edu> wrote:
>>
>> I guess after that I should declare myself to be lucky. None out of more
>> than a couple of dozens of 3ware cards ever did harm for me. I did once
>> had one of them fried (my clumsiness most likely), which then just
>> didn't
>> come up (3ware just replaced card without a question asked). Could yours
>> be _slightly_ fried?
>
> The first card could have been slightly fried; it came back up after a
> reboot, and would kernel panic again within a few days.  Since I had
> what I thought was a good second card I never bothered to test the first
> one thoroughly.  After the second card ate the array I bailed on the old
> cards completely; had the 9650 been easy to obtain I would have, but it
> was pretty much EOL by then.
>
> The 9650 that died last month refused to be recognized on cold boot, so I
> think it's totally gone.  It's old enough that it's not worth my time
> trying to figure out whether it's revivable.

Indeed, lucky me. As of this moment I have 6 of 9650 in production boxes.
For at least 6 years. During which time none of them ever failed on me
(including any trouble with arrays). Knocking on wood. I must say though
that I do prefer the most reliable drives. And I always have arrays
checked at least once a week through 3ware scheduler (this causes walk
through the whole surface of each of drives, thus ensuring bad blocks if
any do not stay undiscovered...).

Valeri

Valeri Galtsev
Sr System Administrator