[CentOS] Yum cant find kernel-pae

Jonathan Billings billings at negate.org
Mon Sep 8 18:32:38 UTC 2014

I cut out the text of dmidecode that weren't necessary for the point:

On Mon, Sep 08, 2014 at 01:52:43PM -0400, Bob Metelsky wrote:
> dime910 /home/robert :( # dmidecode -t 17
> # dmidecode 2.12
> SMBIOS 2.3 present.
>
> Handle 0x1100, DMI type 17, 27 bytes
> Memory Device
>         Locator: DIMM_1
>         Part Number: 64T256020EU2.5C2
>
> Handle 0x1101, DMI type 17, 27 bytes
> Memory Device
>         Locator: DIMM_3
>         Part Number: CM2X2048-6400C5
>
> Handle 0x1102, DMI type 17, 27 bytes
> Memory Device
>         Locator: DIMM_2
>         Part Number: CM2X2048-6400C5
>
> Handle 0x1103, DMI type 17, 27 bytes
> Memory Device
>         Locator: DIMM_4
>         Part Number: 64T256020EU2.5C2

I couldn't find the Dell Service Manual for a 'Dell 770' but I was
looking at the Service Manual for the Optiplex 760, and I saw that the
way that the modules are paired isn't obvious.  It looks like you've
got 2 2G memory modules from 64T256020EU2.5C2 (Kingston?) and 2 2GB
modules from CM2X2048-6400C5 (Corsair?).  I suggest finding your
service manual, and make sure that the modules are placed in the DIMM
slots and the same vendor RAM is paired with its partner.

It sounds to me like there might just be something weird going on with
how the memory is installed.  I'm assuming you don't have an
artificial limit in the kernel command line or anything obvious like
that.