[CentOS] Canon PIXMA mg5420 or HP Photo Smart 7520

Christoph Neuhaus nihil14 at gmail.com
Tue Sep 9 08:46:03 UTC 2014

Hi Ken

> In need of a new printer, having done a bit or research, and considering either the Canon PIXMA mg5420 or the HP Photo Smart 7520.
>
> There are Linux drivers for the Photosmart which are supposed to handle both the printer and the scanner.  But in my research I haven't found (yet) anyone who's gotten the scanner to work with Linux on the Photosmart, let alone the sheet feeder for it.

I've got a HP Photo Smart 6520 which lacks the efax capability, the sheet feeder for the scanner, and the fifth cartridge (black for photo prints), when compared to the 7520 model. Both printer (incl. duplex) and scanner work well and out of the box on CentOS 6.x x86_64 with the drivers (version 3.14.4) from the HP website. Configuration and basic scans can also be done in a web browser when the device is connected to your network.

> I've also read horror stories about the how often new ink cartridges are required, that basically you pay for the printer a second and third time buying cartridges (not to mention how often a print job is interrupted by a trip to buy new cartridges).  Any first-hand reports on that?

You are right, you're going to spend a lot more money on the cartridges than on the printer itself. I always go for the HP XL cartridges or equivalent refills to save some money. Last year we needed 2 sets à 4 cartridges for some home office stuff and the occasional photo print. YMMV, especially if you want to use the device on a more professional basis, but then I'd recommend a more professional printer anyway.

Chris