[CentOS] Canon PIXMA mg5420 or HP Photo Smart 7520

James B. Byrne byrnejb at harte-lyne.ca
Wed Sep 10 12:56:19 UTC 2014

On Tue, September 9, 2014 13:03, Valeri Galtsev wrote:

> On Tue, September 9, 2014 11:56 am, John R Pierce wrote:
>> On 9/9/2014 9:42 AM, a. wrote:
>>> its imho cheaper than the huge investment costs of laser
>>> printers.
>>
>> B&W laser printers are as cheap as $70, for example, Brother HL-2240,
>> and have vastly lower price-per-page... they print well on the cheapest
>> copier paper (inkjets tend to need premium surfaced papers or they look
>> very smudgy), the toner cartridges are /way/ cheaper than inkjet inks
>> per page.
>>

> Basically I would choose based on what you will print. It these are tax
> returns and other important documents, then it has to be laser. These
> documents then will survive flood. If these are photographs, then it has
> to be ink printer (color is the one I would get). As ink blends, but the
> powder of laser printers doesn't. Hence the difference in reproducing
> half-tones, gradual color changes.

Water immersion survivability is dependent on the quality of the paper as well
as the type of print medium.   I do not know if others have experienced this
but the quality of copier/printer paper now available to us exhibits
noticeably inferior stability when wetted from paper of the same weight from
the same brand-name supplier obtained as recently as four years ago.  I can
attest to that because I have compared the two.  Increasing the paper weight
improves wetted stability only marginally and certainly not the the level
exhibited in the older paper stock.  And this is so-called 'premium' stuff I
am writing about.

I suspect the increasing use of recycled, and therefore shortened fibre, in
production of modern papers has something to do with this.

Canada  L8E 3C3