[CentOS] Waterproof printer paper

Robert Moskowitz rgm at htt-consult.com
Fri Sep 12 09:36:48 UTC 2014

On 09/10/2014 05:00 PM, Bill Gee wrote:
> On Wednesday, September 10, 2014 10:10:19 m.roth at 5-cent.us wrote:
>> James B. Byrne wrote:
>> <snip>
>>
>>> Water immersion survivability is dependent on the quality of the paper as
>>> well as the type of print medium.   I do not know if others have
>> experienced
>>
>>> this but the quality of copier/printer paper now available to us exhibits
>>> noticeably inferior stability when wetted from paper of the same weight
>>> from the same brand-name supplier obtained as recently as four years
>
> One of my recreational activities is caving.  When surveying a cave we always
> use Rite-In-The-Rain paper.  It is almost completely waterproof.  I have
> managed to dunk my survey book in a stream for minutes at a time.  The paper
> and the pencil sketching survived.  It also survives getting muddy.

It has been around 40 years since the last time I put on my Carbide lamp
and went down a hole into the wonderful world of spelunking (Bloomington
Ill area).  We had to wrap our notebooks in double plastic bags (did we
even have ziplocks back then?) as well as the carbide!  Still have one
carbide lamp (and helmet) that will work. The other is missing the cap
on the water tank.  Also have my rope gear for vertical work, but it has
been a long time since I could fit into the harness we made then!

Interesting to hear that things are 'easier' now.  We also never took
that $500 HP scientific calculator down with us, waiting until we came
out to convert our measurements into maps.  I was typically point as I
was the little guy that could go down the real tight holes and hold my
lamp on the survey point for the reading.  Took 2 hours to unstick one
of the guys that thought he could take over point for me once.

Enjoy!