[CentOS] nouveau crash on centos 6.5

Chris chris2014 at postbox.xyz
Mon Sep 15 03:40:46 UTC 2014

On 09/15/2014 04:02 AM, Valeri Galtsev wrote:
> I myself am using ATI usually (even after they were bought out by
> AMD).

I used to use ATI. Accidentally, the last computers I bought had a
NVIDIA card. I heard Linux support of both boards would be similar.

When I bought a new notebook, I tested it with a live linux CD at the
shop. I didn't want to compare all hardware components with internet
lists and search for drivers. Graphics worked, WIFI also out of the box!

My desktop is a Dell machine. Linux support is flawless. Later I read in
a computer magazine, that there are Dell machines where you hardly get
the right drivers. That's why I wouldn't order a machine by mail-order
anymore. Linux isn't supported by Dell, they "recommend" Windows, at
least in Germany.

> Usually Dell workstations (Desktops actually) have ATI card as one
> of choices. These cards are good ones, with discrete video memory
> (to the contrary to some video chips with "shared" memory, and yes,
> there are ATI videochips like with shared memory found in some
> laptops).

Oh, shared memory! That's a good aspect.

--
Gruß,
Christian