[CentOS] nouveau crash on centos 6.5

m.roth at 5-cent.us m.roth at 5-cent.us
Mon Sep 15 14:31:57 UTC 2014

Valeri Galtsev wrote:
> On Sun, September 14, 2014 10:40 pm, Chris wrote:
>> On 09/15/2014 04:02 AM, Valeri Galtsev wrote:
>>> I myself am using ATI usually (even after they were bought out by
>>> AMD).
>>
>> I used to use ATI. Accidentally, the last computers I bought had a
>> NVIDIA card. I heard Linux support of both boards would be similar.
>
> Not quite so. Example: ATI card, 2 monitors with _different_ resolution,
> CentOS 6. Nouveau video driver (which in fact is wrapper using open source
> drivers) works perfectly: no need for sysadmin to gig into X11 manual
> configuration.
<snip>

Um, I'm a tad confused here - so far as I know, nouveau is *only* the
driver for NVidia cards, *not* for ATI.

Note, also, that I've never managed to spend the time to get nouveau to
support twin monitors; I use either kmod-nvidia, or d/l the proprietary
ones from NVidia, which work just fine.

       mark