[CentOS] ZFS

Paul Heinlein heinlein at madboa.com
Mon Sep 15 22:54:01 UTC 2014

On Mon, 15 Sep 2014, Valeri Galtsev wrote:

> On Mon, September 15, 2014 4:49 pm, Andrew Holway wrote:
>>> The SSD and second CPU core are not free.
>>
>> Where I come from, the streets are paved with SLC
>
> Is it Salt Lake City that you are from?  (that is so reach with
> Second Level Cache... That is what you actually meant I figure)
>
> Am I the only one who is tempted to say: people, could you kindly
> start deciphering your abbreviations. I know, I know, computed
> science uses _that_ abbreviation for years. But we definitely have
> people without computer science degree (not me, I do have one ;-) on
> the list who will be happier to learn terms and abbreviations if it
> is mentioned what stands for what.

In defense of the OP ("original poster"), he mentioned "SLC" in

  1. a throw-away line meant as a joke,

  2. the clear context of SSD ("solid-state drive(s)"), where the
     distinction between MLC ("multi-level cell") and SLC
     ("single-level cell") technology has been widely discussed.

In this case, I'd give more weight to point number 1: I'd estimate
that 493 out of 500 readers of this list would have immediately
grasped he was making a joke. Even if they didn't get the SLC
reference, they understood that jokes can be safely ignored without
missing any important bits of the discussion.

In the case of point #2, I'd say that abuse is definitely in the eye
of the beholder. Who is the arbiter of when an acronym is obvious or
obscure? I mean that as a serious question. Who gets to say that USB
is an acceptable acronym while SLC is not? If you know, how does one
become that person?

--
Paul Heinlein
heinlein at madboa.com