[CentOS] ZFS

Chuck Munro chuckm at seafoam.net
Tue Sep 16 15:43:51 UTC 2014

On 2014-09-15 , kkeller at wombat.san-francisco.ca.us wrote:

> So the ZoL folks want one more feature before calling it 1.0; otherwise
> they believe it's production ready.  Only your own testing can convince
> you that it's truly production ready.
>
> --keith

That's encouraging news, something I've been looking forward to.

FWIW, I've been running ZoL Raid-z3 on two large file servers for quite
some time (0.6.2-1 currently, on CentOS-6 x64) with zero problems other
than a couple of disk drive failures which ZFS handled nicely.  I've had
no real reason to upgrade and will wait for a 1.x release before doing
anything major.

Performance has been very good (although the application is not all that
demanding) and stability has been excellent.  Over the past year or so
the routine twice-weekly scrubs have found no issues, and we've detected
no file corruption.  The scrubbing operation doesn't seem to affect
concurrent use all that much.  The servers run for months without
reboots (only done for security updates).

I don't miss those hours-long ext4 fsck's at all :-)

Chuck