[CentOS] ZFS

m.roth at 5-cent.us m.roth at 5-cent.us
Tue Sep 16 17:47:21 UTC 2014

Warren Young wrote:
> On 9/15/2014 16:54, Paul Heinlein wrote:
>> On Mon, 15 Sep 2014, Valeri Galtsev wrote:
>>
>>   1. a throw-away line meant as a joke,
>
> I didn't take it as a joke so much as a comment that where he works,
> high-end hardware is available for the asking.  SLC is the most
> expensive sort of SSD; if it's so readily available that he can joke
> about using them for paving tiles, he's pooh-poohing my observation that
> adding an SSD to a ZFS pool to accelerate it isn't free.  Where he
> works, it effectively *is* free.
>
> Where *I* work, a freed-up second-hand 40 GB first-generation SSD is a
> welcome boon.

We don't use 'em. We get more annoyed at OEMs who really, *really* want
you to buy their new systems with the k3wl 2.5" drives, that are amazingly
expensive, and you're lucky to find 'em at 1TB, when you really want to
slap in three 4TB WD Reds....

>> Who gets to say that USB is an acceptable acronym while SLC is not? If
you know, how does one become that person?

> Prescriptivist lexicographers are popinjays that try to tell you what
> the legal words are.
>
> The descriptivists are the real lexicographers, because they merely try
> to figure out which words are actually being used in a widespread
> fashion and try to document the meaning(s) of those words.  They
> understand how language actually works.
>
> SLC is perfectly cromulent to a descriptivist.  It's in wide use in a
> large community, and a large fraction of that community agrees on its
> meaning.
>
> Keep in mind that there are only about 17,000 three-letter acronyms.
> Most will have conflicts.
>
> Yes, most.  XQZ is yet unused according to http://www.acronymfinder.com/

<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SLC>

Given the upcoming elections, I like Scottish Law Commission, though where
I work, Single-Layer Cell might be more appropos.

         mark, who works for a TLC (Three Letter Company)