[CentOS] OT: hardware question

John R Pierce pierce at hogranch.com
Tue Sep 16 20:55:09 UTC 2014

On 9/16/2014 1:48 PM, m.roth at 5-cent.us wrote:
> Thanks. I was thinking that, except for the fact that it's a 1U, and so
> the gap between the heat sink on the m/b and the bottom of the card is not
> exactly large.

those 1U's tend to have a bunch of very high flow rate 80mm fans all the
way across the case just behind the drive bays.   noisy buggers.    if
either the IO card has vents on its backing plate, or there's vents on
the chassis on the same side as the components, you should be golden.
ideally, the heatsink fins are oriented parallel to the backplane
connector so they are inline with the airflow...