[CentOS] OT: hardware question

Giles Coochey giles at coochey.net
Wed Sep 17 07:50:35 UTC 2014

On 16/09/2014 22:35, Valeri Galtsev wrote:
> I would use riser 1. If you use riser 2, you will create more
> resistance to airflow in area where already is one big heater. I
> assume, there are no separators of airflow going from front to end (or
> from middle where the set of fans are usually situated). My guess
> would be chips facing down have much less effect on effectiveness of
> cooling unless your configuration is such that airflow path along
> chips (i.e. underneath that board in riser 1) is totally blocked.

I concur here, my guess is to use riser 1

If it were me, I would add the temperature sensors to my monitoring and
change it if I thought it was too high.

If you have two servers have one in riser 1 and the other in riser 2 -
Assuming the manufacturer hasn't got a recommendation or warning about
using either.
I would then add both to monitoring, and if there was any massive
difference in temperature or perhaps even performance (not all PCI-Es
are the same) then I would schedule a maintenance window to swap one of
the cards in one of the servers after deployment.

--
Regards,

Giles Coochey, CCNP, CCNA, CCNAS
NetSecSpec Ltd