[CentOS] KVM Remote

Paul Heinlein heinlein at madboa.com
Thu Sep 18 20:19:39 UTC 2014

On Thu, 18 Sep 2014, John R Pierce wrote:

> On 9/18/2014 12:59 PM, Matt wrote:
>>  Have a few Supermicro based CentOS boxes at remote date center.
>>  Is there anyway to do a remote KVM over TCP to them for the case
>>  when they do not seem to come back after a reboot?
>
> the ones I've used have a full IPMI/KVM on a seperate ethernet
> management port.  I believe this is an optional feature, some
> motherboards/systems have it, some don't.  I would NOT plug this
> into the public internet, rather, I would have a seperate management
> LAN whihc you need to access via a VPN or ssh tunnel or something.

+1

I've never used the remote KVM, but I use serial-over-LAN for console
support on all our newer servers.

Make sure, as John cautioned, that you carefully guard access to the
subnet hosting the IPMI interfaces. Supermicro's baseboard management
console (BMC) leaks passwords like a sieve:

http://blog.cari.net/carisirt-yet-another-bmc-vulnerability-and-some-added-extras/

--
Paul Heinlein
heinlein at madboa.com