[CentOS] C6 : "extra" file access permission ?

Marcelo Roccasalva marcelo-centos at irrigacion.gov.ar
Mon Sep 22 03:33:18 UTC 2014

On Mon, Sep 22, 2014 at 12:09 AM, Always Learning <centos at u62.u22.net> wrote:

> On Sun, 2014-09-21 at 20:58 -0300, Marcelo Roccasalva wrote:
>
>> On Sun, Sep 21, 2014 at 7:36 PM, Always Learning <centos at u62.u22.net> wrote:
>> >
>> > In C6.5 (2.6.32-431.23.3.el6.x86_64) I see:-
>> >
>> > drwxr-xr-x.  2 root root 4096 Sep  9 04:26 conf
>

>> The extra dot means selinux ACL. If you find a +, it's general ACL;
>> space means no aditional Access Control List.
>
> Hi Marcelo,

Hi Paul,

> Thank you for your explanation.
>
> It is strange - all my C6 servers, except the latest, do not have the
> extra dot.

The extra dot is an ls "feature". Compare their versions...

> On the server that has the extra dot, SELINUX is disabled (sestatus &
> getenforce). Newly created file do not have the dot, but the files
> created by the install do.

The dot just means the file is labeled, not that the label will be
enforced. If you disable selinux, you can go without a label and newly
created files won't inherit labels...

--
Marcelo

"¿No será acaso que esta vida moderna está teniendo más de moderna que de
vida?" (Mafalda)