[CentOS] firefox: annoyance

Valeri Galtsev galtsev at kicp.uchicago.edu
Thu Sep 25 14:38:05 UTC 2014

On Thu, September 25, 2014 9:13 am, m.roth at 5-cent.us wrote:
> Valeri Galtsev wrote:
>> On Thu, September 25, 2014 8:59 am, John Doe wrote:
>>> From: Johan Vermeulen <jvermeulen at cawdekempen.be>

> No. 99.44% of the time, I'm *NEVER* in fullscreen mode. All these damn
> developers seem to be thinking of their idiot, er, smart phones, and *not*
> about the majority of us using real computers with real monitors.
>>>
>>> You can press the "Alt" key to show the menu.
>
> It is *completely* unacceptable to release an update that appears to
> ignore the configuration files, and doesn't even *show* the menu, which
> would absolutely freak out an "ordinary user".
>
> And to lose the tabs! I am *not* going to update firefox at work till they
> fix this - I have stuff I need.
> <snip>

I've started looking for firefox replacement some 4 if not 5 years ago.
Since one of the students working here whom I knew after running his own
company with a couple of his friends for about a year went to mozilla
foundation as a ...(production manager if my memory doesn't fail me, my
apologies if I'm wrong). Shortly after that the whole attitude there, at
least as far as Firefox is concerned, changed. )Quite in line with what I
know about the guy, hence my circumstantial conclusion. I'm not say he
changed it, it may be true, but maybe his hiring was just a consequence of
change that already happened.) Firefox releases started getting rushed
out, like every 2 or 3 Months new release; they were awfully overburdened
with new "fancy" (often not that necessary) stuff, changing dramatically
how you interact with your browser. Worst of all, not to well debugged
before releasing. Those who still remember netscape and mozilla browsers,
try to remember how often you had to apply critical updates, or upgrade
the browser to new version. I know, I know, still...

Yes, I still didn't find replacement for firefox... so, anyone who has a
any suggestions of decent open source browser, please, let me know.

Valeri

Valeri Galtsev
Sr System Administrator
University of Chicago