[CentOS] firefox: annoyance

Jake Shipton jakems at fedoraproject.org
Thu Sep 25 17:10:43 UTC 2014

On 25/09/14 17:42, m.roth at 5-cent.us wrote:
> Nicolas Thierry-Mieg wrote:
>>>
>>> Maybe we can get it into extras? I mentioned something from his
>>> repo to my manager, who understandably balked at a Russian
>>> server (this is a US gov't agency (non-DoD) that we work
>>> at....
>>
>> li.nux.ro, that's Romania not Russia.
>
> Thanks, I sit (and type) corrected. There was something nagging at
> me, saying Russia was wrong for Nux. However, I don't foresee
> aforesaid manager being happy with an eastern European individual's
> repo.
>
> *sigh*
>
> But - could someone correct me if I'm wrong - isn't "extras" for
> things like this?
>
> mark

Guess it's the old "if it ain't American, it ain't right" attitude? :-).

A suggestion for your picky boss: Custom repository.

You could create a custom repository featuring these "off limits"
products and simply create a repo-release package which gets installed
with each machine.

This way each machine has the repository, and can install the extra
packages.

I have done this before and works fine, I usually just create my own
rpms or grab src rpms from fedora koji and put them in my own repo if
I want something that is not available in any repositories.

This should solve most of the problems with your boss :-).

PS: Better not tell your boss Linux was created in Finland..

Kind Regards,
Jake Shipton (JakeMS)
GPG Key: 0xE3C31D8F
GPG Fingerprint: 7515 CC63 19BD 06F9 400A DE8A 1D0B A5CF E3C3 1D8F