[CentOS] Is it safe to go from CentOS6.5 to CentOS 7 at this time

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Mon Sep 29 14:44:41 UTC 2014

On Mon, Sep 29, 2014 at 8:56 AM, Dan Hyatt <dhyatt at dsgmail.wustl.edu> wrote:
> I am looking for opinions and personal experience on CentOS7 for both grid
> and virtualized web environments.
> I am currently on CentOS6.5 in a production environment.
>
> I am about to add about 50 more servers to my grid and am trying to identify
> the advantages and disadvantages of going to CentOS7.
> The good part is, that I have some tolerance for backing out and installing
> CentOS6.5 if 7 does not work out.
>
> I read the comments about what CentOS7 brings but want to make sure that I
> am not introducing undue risk. Not seen a lot of issues with it.
>
> I also have a small private cloud (VMWare esxi) and wanted to know if anyone
> was using  CentOS7 there.
>
> The basic question: Should I be holding off a little longer on going to
> CentOS7 in production?

I don't think you'll get a definitive answer for that.  There are
installation and operational differences that you'll have to learn
eventually, and probably the sooner the better.  Most application
environments won't know the difference.  If yours doesn't, I'd go with
7 and perhaps avoid having to re-install in the hardware's lifetime
and take advantage of the newer kernel and default xfs filesystem.
There's always the possibility of some unexpected version difference
but you'll have to deal with that sooner or later anyway.   I have a
few instances running under ESXi with no surprises.  And I've seen a
few unexpected hangs on one hardware instance but at this point don't
know whether to blame the hardware or software.

--
   Les Mikesell
     lesmikesell at gmail.com