[CentOS] Help on setting up a samba domain controller

Robert Moskowitz

rgm at htt-consult.com
Mon Sep 29 15:01:23 UTC 2014

My current samba domain controller is running ClearOS.  But I am
migrating to ARM servers (cubieboards) and using RedSleeve for now, and
Centos7arm when that gets rolling.  The driver is power savings; my ROI
just on power is ~15months.

So I only run an NT style Domain Controller with XP clients and roaming
user profiles.  It works, as there are only a few systems here are
really just my wife and I.  But it is nice for my wife to hop on a
laptop at the dinning table and get her same desktop as she has on the
den computer.

So copying the basic Samba files is rather simple, it seems, but then
there is the LDAP setup and the add machine and user scripts. So it gets
complex rather quickly.  I looked over on the Centos Wiki and did not
find any help there, but my search foo has always been weak.

So is there a howto I can use to get off the 'everything (and more than
I want) done for me' bandwagon and build the basics myself?

I figure I can deal with dnsmasq, even though I am a bind kind of guy;
the configs look simple.  But there is probably a dyndns piece lurking
somewhere.  NTP I have always done myself.  I have even hacked a bit at
basic Samba to maintain per user logins.  But the ldap will definitely
be a new experience...

thanks for any pointers (that help me :) ).