[CentOS] Is it safe to go from CentOS6.5 to CentOS 7 at this time

Valeri Galtsev galtsev at kicp.uchicago.edu
Mon Sep 29 16:52:09 UTC 2014

On Mon, September 29, 2014 11:02 am, Les Mikesell wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 29, 2014 at 10:46 AM,  <m.roth at 5-cent.us> wrote:
>>

>>> The basic question: Should I be holding off a little longer on going to
>>> CentOS7 in production?
>>>
>> On the one hand, we're starting to roll it out... *only* on new servers,
>> and the servers we're rolling it out on are *only* fileservers - a
>> couple
>> attached to RAID boxes, and the other two will be attached to RAIDs, but
>> server home directories.
>>
>> I feel that I'd stay with 6.x unless there's a must-have feature. Right
>> now, I'm playing with stuff on those servers - for one, NetworkMangler
>> is
>> *extremely* noisy, and trying to find *full* examples of its
>> configuration
>> file... I've only found *tiny* bits and pieces. I think I got it to log
>> only errors, but the startup was *noisy*, and the documentation leaves
>> something to be desired.
>>
>> Oh, and it enables wireless. On a server. With no wifi. And I don't see
>> any ifcfg-'s to set them to *off*.
>>
>> I really don't like this "we'll do everything" attitude, esp. when
>> "everything" is intended for users of laptops....
>>
>> And the install, as I think I posted last week, was nasty - if I want
>> anything other than it's "let me partition *and* throw LVM on top", it
>> goes to choose disks... and selects *ALL* by default.
>>
>> So there's a bunch of stuff I don't like, and will wait to see if they
>> fix
>> it.
>
> You don't _really_ expect any of those things to change do you?  I
> look at it it as more of a question of how long you have to deal with
> the operational differences among your production systems, which is
> probably going to be a long and annoying time under the best of
> circumstances.

True, and can't be said better. And that was one (not the main though)
reason I migrate to FreeBSD servers whose time came instead of upgrading
them to more "Desktopish" Linux (took me a lot of effort to not repeat
here someone's "Windoze" comparison). I know I have no guarantee, but they
(FreeBSD) have good record... Workstations though stay with CentOS (7
now).

Valeri

Valeri Galtsev
Sr System Administrator