[CentOS] Spacewalk? Local repo? Cache?

m.roth at 5-cent.us m.roth at 5-cent.us
Mon Sep 29 18:30:07 UTC 2014

Chris Beattie wrote:
> I have a mix of CentOS 5, 6, and now 7 servers at work.  There are enough
> of them now that it is starting to make sense for them to get updates from
> an internal source.
>
> I've seen RHN Satellite in years past.  It looks like it may be a way to
> allow Windows admins here (familiar with WSUS) to update Linux boxes.  A
> local repo might be easier to set up, but (as with Spacewalk) it seems
> like we'd end up with a lot of packages we don't need.  A proxy and a
> sufficiently-large cache might do the trick if the first Linux box to get
> updates populates the cache which the files the others will need, but I
> haven't looked into this enough to see if there's even a way that works.
>
> How do you all keep a dozen or more Linux boxes updated?

We have over 170 servers and workstations. We use yum update for system
stuff. If you really want an internal source, build a repo of your own.

I installed Spacewalk in '09. While I was doing it, it went from .3 to .4
or .5 - don't remember. For a dozen or so servers, it's *vastly* more
effort to install and configure, and presumably maintain, than you would
spend if you just set up an internal repo.

> Thanks!
> --
> Chris
> Nothing in this message is intended to make or accept an offer or to form
> a contract, except that an attachment that is an image of a contract
> bearing the signature of an officer of our company may be or become a
> contract. This message (including any attachments) is intended only for
> the use of the individual or entity to whom it is addressed. It may
> contain information that is non-public, proprietary, privileged,
> confidential, and exempt from disclosure under applicable law or may
> constitute as attorney work product. If you are not the intended
> recipient, we hereby notify you that any use, dissemination, distribution,
> or copying of this message is strictly prohibited. If you have received
> this message in error, please notify us immediately by telephone and

I agree with Varleri - this is a ludicrously long and extremely pissy
postscript. I probably should have joined him in *not* responding, since
a) it says "may
> contain information that is non-public, proprietary, privileged,
> confidential, and exempt from disclosure under applicable law", which
you posted to a public email list, which is international in scope, and
therefore a null and void statement, since it would *only* be applicable
to someone who had signed an NDI, and b) you're not offering anyone here
to pay for such.

        mark

--
Any resemblance between the above views and those of my employer,
my terminal, or the view out my window are purely coincidental.  Any