[CentOS] webcam program for continuous recording.

John R Pierce pierce at hogranch.com
Tue Sep 30 02:39:50 UTC 2014

On 9/29/2014 7:08 PM, g wrote:
> i did find a link at gofree.com that lead to videolan.org, which lead
> to rpm.pbone.net, where i found binary rpms for fedora and other os's,
> but none for centos.
>
> so, it looks like if i want vlc for centos, i will have to try compile
> source. not looking forward to such right now.

the problem is, VLC steps all over a bunch of patents for various media
formats, like mp3, mp4, which are heavily constrained by patents....
players are supposed to pay royalties, so legitimate US business at
least can't distribute working binaries of free opensource implementations.

I did find centos6 rpm's for VLC at rpmforge, but that repository is now
considered dead, and no longer updated, and in fact these binaries were
3-4 years old.