[CentOS] Bash package for CentOS5

Johnny Hughes johnny at centos.org
Tue Sep 30 12:15:20 UTC 2014

On 09/30/2014 06:40 AM, Mitja Mihelič wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I have noticed, that our mirror has this package
> bash-3.2-33.el5_11.4.x86_64.rpm, but a lot of other mirror still have
> bash-3.2-33.el5_10.4.x86_64.rpm.
> Since bash-3.2-33.el5_11.4.x86_64.rpm was issued on 26-Sep-2014 04:28,
> could this be the product of slower mirror update cycles?
>
> Regards,
> Mitja

Yes ... it will take a few days for every external mirror to update ...
this happens when we have to push 30GB to more than 500 mirrors (at a
point release time).

One of those bash RPMs is in the 5.10 updates directory, the other is in
the 5.11 updates directory.  Both contain the same source code that is
the latest released by Red Hat for EL5 bash right now.

There may be another update released for this soon:

https://access.redhat.com/security/cve/CVE-2014-7187

But at the time of this email, there is no update for that CVE.

If/when any new update is released, it will be built for 5.11 only.

This may also be a good time to reiterate the CentOS update policy.

Whenever we release a new Minor Version (in this case, 5.11), there will
no longer be any updates released in the older minor version (in this
case 5.10).  Therefore, you must upgrade to the latest release in a
major version (in this case CentOS-5, version 5.11) in order to get any
updates moving forward.

This has always been the case for all CentOS releases from the beginning
.. to get any updates you have to be on the latest version and you
should be pointing to only the major version (ie, <somepath>/5/<arch> ).

5.11 is only 5.10+updates ... if you stay at 5.10, you will get no more
updates, ever.

Also .. if people use the default setup, they only have to run 'yum
update' to get updates .. it is automatic.

If you (or your hosting provider) have modified the default yum
configurations ... then you (or your hosting provider) is responsible to
figure how to get the updates you want moving forward.

Thanks,
Johnny Hughes