[CentOS] Bare drive RAID question, was RE: *very* ugly mdadm issue [Solved, badly]

Stephen Harris

lists at spuddy.org
Fri Sep 5 19:02:56 UTC 2014

On Fri, Sep 05, 2014 at 08:01:05AM -0600, Warren Young wrote:

> So the real question is, why do you believe you need to make each RAID
> member a *partition* on a disk, instead of just take over the entire
> disk?  Unless you're going to do something insane like:

For me I have things like
  sda1
  sdb2
  sdc3
  sdd4
and I align the partitions to the physical slot.

This makes it easier to see what is the failed disk; "sdc3 has fallen out of
the array; that's the disk in slot 3".

Because today's sdc may be tomorrow's sdf depending on any additional disks
that have been added or kernel device discover order changes or whatever.

--

rgds
Stephen